This page describes how to use Census with Intercom.
In this guide, we will show you how to connect Intercom to Census and create your first sync.
- Have your Intercom account ready.
You will be directed to a screen describing the permissions Census needs. Note that if your account has access to multiple Intercom workspaces, you'll also have the option to select the specific workspace. As well you can specify the data host region of your Intercom instance.
View the permissions needed, select the correct Intercom workspace, and specify the data host region
Once the connection is created, make sure that the region Census uses is the same as your
Data host regionin Intercom. To do this select
editon your connection and then manually select your region from the dropdown.
Please follow one of our short guides depending on your data warehouse technology
After setting up your warehouse, your Census Destinations page should look like this
Here you will have to write SQL queries to select the data you want to see in Intercom. Here are some ideas of data you should select
- The Lifetime Value of a customer and add it to a contact or companies
- The end of their trial
- The date they became active in your product
- The number of key activities a user did in your app in the last 7/30 days
Once you have created your model, click save.
In the " What data do you want to sync?" section
- For the Connection, select the data warehouse you connected in step 2
- For the Source, select the model you created in step 3
Next up is the "Where do you want to sync data to?" section
- Pick Intercom as the Connection
- For Object, pick the one you want to sync data to.
For the " How should changes to the source be synced?" section
- Select your preferred behavior. Update only is a great place to start!
- Pick the right mapping key, it could be Email for Contacts, Company ID for Companies but we recommend you use your own database id if possible
Finally, select the fields you want to update in the Mapper in the "Which Fields should be updated?" section
- Here simply map the field from your Intercom instance to the column from your model.
The end result should look something like this
Click the Next button to see the final preview which will have a recap of what will happen when you start the sync
Now go back to your Intercom and go view a record type (Contact or Company) that should have been updated. If everything went well, you should see your data in Intercom
That's it! In 5 steps, you've connected Intercom and started syncing customer & product data from your warehouse 🎉
Census currently supports syncing to the following Intercom objects.
If you're finding Companies missing in Intercom after a sync, make sure the company also has users associated with them. By default, Intercom hides companies with no associated users.
When deleting objects in Intercom, Census's default mode is to archive those objects (except in the case of Companies, which don't allow archiving). Intercom will permanently delete those objects 30 days after they've been archived. In some instances, you may opt to have Census permanently delete objects. This could lead to irreversible data loss and is not recommended unless you are confident you don't need those records.