X Ads (formerly Twitter Ads)
This page describes how to use Census with X Ads.
This guide shows you how to use Census to connect your X Ads account to your data warehouse and create your first sync.
Before you begin, you'll need the following:
Your end state should look something like this: 👇
Destinations page after setting up connection to X Ads
The steps for connecting your data warehouse will depend on your technology. See the following guides:
After setting up your warehouse, your Destinations page should look something like this: 👇
Destinations page after setting up a data source
When defining models, you'll write SQL queries to select the data you want to see in X Ads. This can be as simple as selecting everything in a specific database table or as complex as creating new calculated values.
- 1.From inside your Census account, navigate to the Models page.
- 2.Enter a name for your model. You'll use this to select the model later.
- 3.Enter your SQL query. If you want to test the query, use the Preview button.
- 4.Click Save Model.
Basic SQL query for a new model
The sync will move data from your warehouse to X Ads. In this step, you'll define how that will work.
- 2.Under What data do you want to sync?, choose your data warehouse as the Connection and your model as the Source.
- 5.(When syncing conversion events) Under How are source records identified?, select a column from the model that serves as a unique ID for each record. If needed, turn on the Use timestamp column setting and select a property from the model. This setting allows the sync to skip records that have not changed (according to the timestamp) since the last sync.
- 6.(When syncing audiences) Under How should we identify audience members?, specify how Census should match audience members in X Ads to records in the model.
- 7.(When syncing audiences) Under Audience Sync, select an existing X Ads audience or create a new audience list in X Ads. If the audience list includes members that don't have matching records in your model, Census will remove those members from the list.
- 8.Under Which properties should be updated?, select the fields you want to update by mapping a field in X Ads to a column in your model.
- 9.(When syncing conversion events) Under Should existing data be synced?, choose whether to sync existing records (Backfill All Records) or only sync new records going forward (Skip Current Records).
- 10.Click Next. This will open the Confirm Details page where you can see a recap of your setup.
- 11.If you want to start a sync immediately, set the Run a sync now? checkbox.
- 12.Click Create Sync.
When configuring your sync, the page should look something like this: 👇
Setting up a X Ads sync with a new audience list
Once your sync is complete, it's time to check your data. Open X Ads and check that the records updated correctly.
Rate limits affect how many records you can sync in a specific period of time. X Ads API has a rate limit of 1,500 calls per minute. Calls to sync audience data and conversion event data share the same rate limit.
When syncing data to conversion events, the Use timestamp column to identify new data setting can help limit the number of API calls. With this setting, Census will check if the record has changed since the last sync occurred and skip syncing for the record if there have been no changes.
To use this setting, you'll also need to include a column in your database/data source that tracks the latest sync for each record.