This page describes how to use Census with Microsoft Teams.
In this guide, we will show you how to connect Microsoft Teams to Census and create your first Census Notification.
- Have your Slack account ready.
If you are not already logged in to Teams, you will be redirected to a page to log in to authorize your account to use Census. Once you've authorized Census, you'll be redirected back to the Connections page in Census where you'll see your Teams connection.
Navigate to the Models page in Census and click the Add Model button.
Here you can a write SQL query to select the data you want to send to Teams.
Once you have created your model, give it a useful name, and click Save Model.
You'll need to start by specifying
- For Connection, select the data warehouse you connected in step 2.
- For Source, select the model you created in step 3.
- Next, pick the column that uniquely identifies each record in your data source. Census will use this to identify new records that need to be used to create Notifications to Teams.
Here is an example of a configured Notification trigger.
- The notification destination should be selected by default but if you have more than one valid destination for Notifications configured (eg. a Slack and a Teams accounts), ensure you have the right one selected.
- Then decide whether you want to send your Notification to a Teams channel or a direct message and select the destination from the list.
- New Rows will be automatically selected for now as it is the only currently supported logic for Notifications.
- Finally, use the text editor to customize the message that you wish to send.
- To embed values from the trigger columns or to mention users or channels from your Teams account, use the dropdown that will appear. If the list is long, try the search function.
An example of a configured Notification message.
- Click the Run Test button to see a single random record sent to your destination. For testing, you may want to temporarily change the destination message yourself.
Testing a new Notification.
- Click the Finish button and you'll be taken to your new notification. You can now Schedule the sync to run on a schedule or run it manually yourself.
- Note that on the first run, Census will not send any Notifications but will do so on incremental runs when new rows are added to your source model.
Configure your new Notification to run on a set schedule or run it manually.