This page describes how to use Census with Klaviyo.
This guide shows you how to use Census to connect your Klaviyo account to your data warehouse and create your first sync.
Before you begin, you'll need the following:
- Klaviyo account
- 2.Click Add Service.
- 3.Select Klaviyo from the dropdown list.
Your end state should look something like this: 👇
Connections page with Klaviyo
The steps for connecting your data warehouse will depend on your technology. See the following guides:
After setting up your warehouse, your Connections page should look something like this: 👇
Connections page with Klaviyo and source warehouse
When defining models, you'll write SQL queries to select the data you want to see in Klaviyo. This can be as simple as selecting everything in a specific database table or as complex as creating new calculated values.
- 1.From inside your Census account, navigate to the Models page.
- 2.Click Add Model.
- 3.Enter a name for your model. You'll use this to select the model later.
- 4.Enter your SQL query. If you want to test the query, use the Preview button.
- 5.Click Save Model.
Basic SQL query for a new model
The sync will move data from your warehouse to Klaviyo. In this step, you'll define how that will work.
- 2.Under What data do you want to sync?, choose your data warehouse as the Connection and your model as the Source.
- 6.Under Which properties should be updated?, choose to update Specific Properties or Sync All Properties.
- 8.Click Next. This will open the Confirm Details page where you can see a recap of your setup.
- 9.If you want to start a sync immediately, set the Run a sync now? checkbox.
- 10.Click Create Sync.
When configuring your sync, the page should look something like this: 👇
Sync setup for Klaviyo
Once your sync is complete, it's time to check your data. Open Klaviyo and check that the profiles updated correctly.
All profiles in Klaviyo belong to at least one list. All syncs must include the List property to ensure that profiles in Klaviyo are valid.
We recommend creating a list specifically for syncing. For example, you could use a Klaviyo list called "Census Uploads" that simply includes every profile created or updated by a Census sync. Note that updating through Census sync will only add profiles to additional lists; it cannot remove a profile from a list.
Syncing the Klaviyo list property
To update the List property, you'll need to provide the list ID or Name values as a JSON array of strings, for example:
["List A", "List B", "List C"]
["RYkk48", "Xmpet6", "DyreR0"]