Comment on page
This page describes how to use Census with Ortto.
This guide shows you how to use Census to connect your Ortto account to your data warehouse and create your first sync.
Before you begin, you'll need the following:
- Ortto account
- 2.Click New Destination.
- 3.Select Ortto from the dropdown list.
- 4.Ortto uses API keys to authorize access to the API, so you will need to provide an API Key to Census.
- 1.You can create an API key in Ortto specifically for Census. On the left-hand menu click More > Data Sources. On the Data Sources page click the New Data Source button then select Custom API (advanced). Give the source a name of your choosing and click Create. The API Key will be shown on the following page. Make sure to save it somewhere secure.
- 2.Copy the API key and paste it into the API Key field in the Ortto setup in Census.
- 3.Ortto has custom rate limiting based on what plan you're on. You can check out the limits for your specific plan here. Enter the limit for the 60s interval of your plan in the Rate limit per 60s field. If no limit is specified we will default to the Pro plan (600 requests/min).
The steps for connecting your data warehouse will depend on your technology. See the following guides:
When defining models, you'll write SQL queries to select the data you want to see in Ortto. This can be as simple as selecting everything in a specific database table or as complex as creating new calculated values.
- 2.Enter a name for your model. You'll use this to select the model later.
- 3.Enter your SQL query. If you want to test the query, use the Preview button.
- 4.Click Save Model.
Basic SQL query for a new model
The sync will move data from your warehouse to Ortto. In this step, you'll define how that will work.
- 2.Under What data do you want to sync?, choose your data warehouse as the Connection and your model as the Source.
- 6.Under Which properties should be updated?, select the fields you want to update by mapping a field in Ortto to a column in your model.
- 7.Click Next. This will open the Confirm Details page where you can see a recap of your setup.
- 8.If you want to start a sync immediately, set the Run a sync now? checkbox.
- 9.Click Create Sync.
When configuring your sync, the page should look something like this: 👇
Sync setup for Ortto
Once your sync is complete, it's time to check your data. Open Ortto and check that the records updated correctly.
If everything went well, that's it! You've started syncing data from your warehouse to Ortto! 🎉
Sync speeds can be affected by API rate limiting from the destination app. Ortto has a number of different rate limiting criteria for their API depending on IP, Ortto tier, responses, and payloads. (See Ortto API Documentation for details.)
In most cases, you won't run into any issue with sync speed based on rate limiting unless:
- You're running an initial sync action that will update many records in Ortto.
- You have another integration or service that's making API calls to Ortto and using the same API key.